Thursday, May 7, 2009

St. Anthony

The Feast of St. Anthony is June 13th. For the thirteen Tuesdays before the feast people from all over Albania come up the mountain to the very old Church. Most people make the pilgrimage walking up the mountain.  When they arrive they light candles all over the rocks. I should note that people come to pray with their rosaries - or the prayer beads. It is really an equal opportunity for people of all faiths to praise God.
I chose to go up to the Church on a minibus. I am so very glad that I did that. I was told that you can walk up in about 45 min. to an hour.  While the walk would have been nice, I enjoyed the experience without sore feet.
This sign in the town points the way for the pilgrimage.  This Church(kjsha) is outside Laç (the ç is like ch). Shna is the word for Saint. Ndout is Anthony.

Mass is said in this open air courtyard. They have a marvelous sound system. So when I arrived I could hear the Mass. People were all gathered around. Many people were fervently in prayer while others were talking and moving.

My reaction was that this must have been what it was like when Jesus spoke to the crowds - but without the sound system!!!

At the time of the consecration, most people knelt...

As you look through the crowd you will see women in traditional dress, jeans for the younger and everything in between. Mostly, though, people in their 'best'.

The statue of St. Anthony was continually surrounded by people touching and holding their children up to him.

SEE PART 2
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Peter Gojcaj said...

Awesome post and great pictures. Please post more pictures if you can.